Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Triathlon in two weeks.  Sudden Panic.  

I started my running training yesterday (15 days out) with a 22 minute jog.  Turns out that my assumption about cycling and swimming--that they would be adequate enough all-around leg muscle toners/cardio workouts that I wouldn't really have to focus on running much--is only partly true.   There are some unprepared muscles in the upper front of the legs (thighs?) that are now sore and noticeably inadequate.   Not too worried though, since I put on muscle pretty quick if I work out.  I'll take it easy today with 16 minutes and bump up to 40 minutes tomorrow.  

Swimming in the Atlantic is good prep for the 30th because a) it's choppy.  b) it's dark water.  
It's not good prep because a) the salt increases buoyancy and b) it's really warm. 

I'm worried about my bike being disqualified because it lacks a rear brake.  (violation of USAT rules).  I talked to some guy who's done the race before and he looked at me with raised eyebrows explaining there's 8,500 bikes so what am I worried about?

I'm still worried.

List of Other Worries:

  • Sighting. how will I see the swim exit? 
  • Gear.  Still need shorts and shirt, possibly bib strap because tri-vet Josh Courage recommends. 
  • Panic.  I hope I don't psych myself into a too-high gear during the swim and get too tired too fast. 
  • Doing the running after the biking. I hope my legs don't get crampy after 13+ miles of spinning.

List of Solutions :)

  • Put on a rear brake. 
  • Get gear in DC. 
  • In swim workouts, swim longer distance than the actual race. 
  • Go check out the course on return to Chicago. 
  • Get in the lake in the wetsuit. 





2 comments:

Piglet said...

don't worry! i think everyone panics before races, but when you're actually doing it...you just, um, do it. you're probably more prepared than you think.

Rahul said...

this is awesome man i wish i could be out there! tell farsh to take pics, or a video...of the WHOLE RACE!