It also strikes me that one way to conceptualize the job might be to chart the progress of each individual student. Simple as that. No high-fallutin' concepts like "progress of the class as a whole", because thinking about stuff like gets yours truly all bent out of philosophical shape. And charting only individual students, well, if I just helped one student make a little progress each period, well, that would be success.
I like this idea.
2 comments:
I like your formulation and its focus on the individual student and small steps. If your standards are too high, too generic, or too arbitrary the students will feel the disappointment, when the real goal, in my view, is to share your joy of learning and playing music.
One of the saddest things to me is people who develop super piano technique by the end of high school, but are so burnt out they don't touch a piano at college.
Doc Driv
mostly, I think a little joy in music is all you can really hope to share, and to help them make one beautiful sound together. some will be more inspired than others, but you cannot be responsible for that. it is your joy in music that will inspire those kids, and the sound you make, and then they provide the rest.
Post a Comment