The big news is that Soapbox Music has leased an amazing studio space on the northwest corner of Humboldt Park. A solid, one-story brick building that feels like the right home for a music project. April is a month of preparation. It is exciting and there is much to be done. The sound system kicks. Today I made a flier and bought a doorbell. Here's the flier:

In Chicago House Zone, I can't get enough. I'm on a historical tip now, thinking about how go-go in DC and house in Chicago share a strikingly parallel history, both arising out of a similar love/hate relationship with disco at the end of the seventies. Different cities, different people. One holds a mirror to the other, the foreign making the familiar stranger, richer. I have a project in mind that will have to wait a bit to blossom but will be fantastic. Right now, I'm trying to go to more shows to hear new stuff -- Uptown Lounge. But keeping the old, I went to Derrick Carter at Smartbar. Watching the dj booth mobbed by adoring fans, I learn something about Chicago. I am awed to be in the presence of a dude that's been presiding over the party in this city, keeping the beat, for as long as I've been alive.
In Steinerland, against all odds my third grade class has learned to --in some fashion-- play the cello. I am pleasantly surprised.
I have a private student in the fourth grade who is a real cool kid but who obviously doesn't practice. I stamp out all resistance. Cellocrusher.
Next week, I have first lessons with two adult-beginner students. One has been studying various stringed instruments for twenty years, but this will be his first 'lesson'. He sounded very nervous on the phone.
In MyWeb2.0, Ruby on Rails web design proved too much too fast, and I've backed off. I will revisit the idea in small doses. It takes time and repetition for the brain to adjust to new languages.
In bikeworld, I took a great wheel-building class with Alex Wilson over at West Town Bikes. In 6 hours, I learned about spoke calculation, the 3-spoke cross, and how to tension, round and true my wheel. I built my wheel for the non-profit, so was provided by them the necessary hub, rim and spokes. To the annoyance of my classmates, I was the only one given a vintage Campagnolo Record hub to lace. Suckers.
My Miyata 1000 build kills hipsters and other bikenoobs. Basically, it's too much bike for this town.
Oh, the final news I can think of right now: I'm about to collar my identity thief.
Ahem.
Thief, if you're reading this right now, and I'm sure that you likely are, monitoring my identity as you surely are, know this: I am about to collar you. With the help of DA POLICE. And LOTS of REALLY SMART LAWYERS. Know this thief: I won't tell you how I caught up with you, but I have. I won't reveal to you where I'm swinging from, but believe me I'm swinging -- and hard. Let's just say this, thief: Watch your back. Think before you open your door or answer your phone or log into your email account. Fool.
1 comment:
cheers for the update man, sounds like things are slammin over there. i am really missing riding fixed over here - as soon as i can scrounge some extra cash i am going to pick one up.
ralf
Post a Comment